basic info page 2

What else do I need to do?

Get a Passport –

You can apply for a passport at Any Immigration office nationwide. Please be advised to Apply several months before you leave, especially if you consider how much time it might take you to get a visa. As soon as you receive your passport, make a copy of the front page that has all your identification information, and keep it in a separate place from your passport. If your passport is lost or stolen, the copy will make it easier to get a new one.

Get a Visa-

Do some research and find out if your country of destination requires a visa. If so what kind of visa will you need? Sixty percent of the world’s countries require visas for any length of stay. If you travel, you may need visas for other countries. Apply early for visas. processing time varies widely. Embassy addresses and phone numbers can be found on the internet.

Get your shots

The center for disease control offers the most up-to-date information regarding vaccinations and shots. You should also consult your doctor.

Consider a phone card

Do a little research and find out how you’ll be communicating with your people back home. Phone cards are great but they don’t always work. I recommend the e-kit which combines voice mail, e-mail and phone card with conversions at the cheapest rates.

Get insured

Make sure you have a comprehensive travel insurance. Your coverage should include medical evacuation and repatriation.


  • You should aim to arrive at the University in time to be ready to start the international orientation program at your selected institution.
  • Remember to bring your University acceptance letter, I-20 and F-1 visa along with you on the plane.
  • Please be clear that you understand where you are going and what you intend to study. You may be asked by an immigration officer as to what you intend doing in the Preferred Country.

Arriving on your new Campus:

  • If you arrive earlier than the arrival date specified by the University, you will be responsible for arranging your own accommodation at your own expense, until your University accommodation becomes available.
  • If you arrive on campus within regular office hours please report to the International Student Advisor or Office.
  • If you arrive after regular office hours please report to the campus safety office and they will assist you with finding your dorm.

<< Previous page                                                                                                                                                   Next Page >>